Eggplant rounds shallow fried with Indian Spices
Italian aubergines, sliced into 1/4 inch thick rounds, marinated in a spice blend that predominantly include spices used in an Indian dry curry/subzi, then shallow fried in a neutral flavored oil or light olive oil. The rounds should be as uniformly sliced as possible, but do not worry if they aren’t. My knife skills are ok but how my cuts turn out clearly depends on time on hand and my mood 😉 !! I try to adjust cooking times depending upon the thickness of the slice.
I do not have step by step pictures for this item. When I make it next time, I will edit this post to add more pictures.
In our home, eggplant is a liked vegetable,but we have our favorite recipes and ways to cook this vegetable. From roasted eggplant thogayal (a very South Indian eggplant dip) to Eggplant Parmesan (a very Italian dish), we eat it all.
Here is a little eggplant trivia : Source – http://www.healthline.com
Like tomatoes, eggplant is also a fruit. It has no fat or cholesterol. Eggplant isn’t high in any one vitamin or mineral, but it contains small amounts of most essential vitamins and minerals. According to one 2015 study, eggplant stalk extract may help reduce inflammation.
Adjust quantity of ingredients depending on your tastes.
- Italian Eggplant 1
- Rice flour 2 tablespoon
- Turmeric 1/2 teaspoon
- Chili powder 1 tyeaspoon
- Ginger Garlic paste 1 teaspoon
- Coriander powder 1 teaspoon
- Cumin powder 1/2 teaspoon
- Salt to taste
- Oil to cook eggplants
- Water 1 to 2 teaspoon
How to :
- Mix all the dry ingredients well in a small bowl. Add a teaspoon of water so that the spice mix resembles wet sand. I feel this helps it stick better to the eggplant and doesn’t burn the spices.
- Add eggplants to a wide bowl or plate (I did not pat the water dry from the eggplant rounds. You can, if you want to)
- Rub this spice mix on each slice of the eggplant.Flip them and repeat. You can let it marinate for about 10 minutes. Not too long.
- Add oil of choice to a wide ,shallow pan (non-stick or cast iron). Wait for oil to heat up. When you place your hand over the skillet, you should feel the heat. (Note that hand is placed over the skillet, not in the skillet LOL!)
- Once oil is hot enough, place eggplant rounds in a single layer on the pan. one should be able to hear that slight sizzle when the eggplant hits the hot oil.
- Let it cook for at least 2 minutes before we lift the rounds up to check for doneness. Trust your nose, eyes and be patient.
- When you are happy with the brown , flip the roundels and cook the other side as well.
- Remove them on to a flat plate/platter. If you stack them up they can get very soggy. So try to lay them out in a single layer.
When the oil is hot enough and when we do not add excess oil for a shallow fry, we can reduce oil absorption. Hence avoid using a paper towel. I feel the paper towel ruins the texture of the fried food. This is just my opinion.
Enjoy it as is, with a cold yogurt dip, or eat with steamed white rice and rasam. It will be delish with anything actually. Make it your own, thank you for stopping by!