A kid friendly,easy egg sandwich recipe
We grew up eating a vegetarian diet that did not include eggs. Our source of protein was completely plant based and it seemed enough then. But when we moved to a place where the food was very different from what we grew up on, where the weather was completely what we weren’t used to, availability of ingredients for our native cooking was low, this big shift in lifestyle led to making some changes in our diet as well. As much as we embraced the culture here, we couldn’t completely give up on certain beliefs. It took awhile for us to find a balance across the board.
One such major adaptation was to include more easily available, more effective and quickly adaptable source of protein through eggs. We needed that extra boost in protein to improve the general quality of our nutrition and to help boost our immunity ,etc.,. M was used to eating eggs in college, so it was easy for him to adapt. He helped the kids develop a liking to eggs. but me, not so much. I can bake with eggs and that’s that.
The kids love egg sandwiches for breakfast, thanks to road trips and vacations where they have saved us more times than we can count. This is a very basic and simple egg sandwich. The spread for the bread depends on what’s in stock in the refrigerator !!
- Use any spread you like and make it your own. We use vegan mayo, cilantro mint chutney, tomato chutney, 1000 island (when we crave a sandwich from a very famous burger joint here) cream cheese,….any spread works!
- Use any type of bread you like. Heartier the better. We love English muffins too.
- Pick your favorite cheese as the topping or omit cheese. M cooks the egg and sprinkles some queso fresco after placing it on his toast.
- Add a side of your favorite veggie hash or a nice cup of fruit to make it more wholesome.
- Use a whole egg or just the whites.
- We use a non stick pan for this recipe.
- We have used a silicone egg ring. You don’t need to.
Easy peasy recipe 😃 Total time – under 10 minutes Makes 1 serving
- Whole egg – large – 1
- Bread slices – 2
- Butter – 1/2 teaspoon
- Vegan butter spread – 2 teaspoon (you need something to help keep the sandwich moist)
- Shredded cheese of choice – 2 Tablespoon
- 1/2 teaspoon milk (optional, use water instead)
- I do not add any extra salt.
How to :
- Heat a pan on medium and add place the silicone ring and add butter inside the ring.
- Break the egg in a small bowl, add milk, gently beat it and pour it inside the ring.
- Let it cook on medium heat for 2-3 minutes. The bottom portion should start to firm up and you should be able to flip it.
- remove the ring and flip the egg.
- Sprinkle some cheese, cover and cook for 2 minutes. Once cheese melts, you can remove it off the pan.
- Place the egg between two toasted bread slices, smeared with a spread of your liking.
- Slice in half, transfer to a plate and enjoy!