A light batter, made of ice cold sparkling water or club soda, some all purpose flour and basic seasoning in which vegetables are dunked and then deep fried…ooh yum ! The batter is light and airy, hence the quoting thin and crispy, making it a perfect indulgence.
~ I love using chilled club soda because that makes this a very easy and quick recipe. The club soda makes the batter airy enough without having to guess how much baking soda to use in proportion to the starch used. Also, a small addition of Almond Flour contributes to the flavor and texture and that was an amazing discovery….even if I say so myself !!
We love tempura green beans that we never fail to order when visiting our favorite fusion Asian restaurant. But due to the current situation we are in, recreating restaurant favorites has become a regular affair at home. We do support some small restaurants that offer takeout locally but do not venture out to places a little far away from us.
So when the craving for Tempura Green Beans hit, on a hot sunny afternoon….oh ya….we had to make it….we had all the ingredients needed and that was a sign!! We added cauliflower and tofu to the mix as well and they were lip smacking yum and perfectly crispy.
I do not have good pictures for this one sadly…..it was disappearing so quickly that I took photos when and where possible! One day, if I can get better pictures, I will update it here for sure, until then, please bear with me:).
Recipe : Tempura Tofu and Veggies
|Prep Time : 10 minutes||Cook time : 25 -30 minutes|
|Spice Level – 🌶||Ease Level – 😃|
|Serves 4 to 6||Appetizer / Snack|
Ingredients : For the Tempura:
- All Purpose Flour – 1 cup
- Almond Flour – 1/2 cup
- Salt to taste
- Crushed Black Pepper – to taste
- Salt to taste
- Ginger paste / powder – 1 teaspoon
- Garlic paste / powder – 1 teaspoon
- Club Soda – 1 1/4 cup – drizzle in slowly until the right batter consistency is achieved
- Haricot Vert – 12
- Cauliflower Florets – 8
- Cubed Tofu – 8
- Oil for deep frying
For the Dipping Sauce :
- Vegan Mayonnaise – 1/2 cup
- Sriracha – 1 tablespoon
- Lemon Juice – 1/4 teaspoon – optional
- A pinch of sugar – optional
How to :
- In a mixing bowl, add all the tempura ingredients except the club soda and oil and mix until well combined.
- Heat the oil in a skillet on medium high until it reaches 375o Fahrenheit.
- Now drizzle in the club soda slowly to make a medium thick batter.
- Once oil is hot enough, dip the veggies in the batter one by one and drop them slowly into the oil. Fry 4 or 5 at a time, making sure not to over crowd the skillet.
- They should be well done in about a minute or so. Remove to a plate lined with paper towels.
- Serve with the dipping sauce and enjoy !
This is a vegan recipe, so in order to keep the whole meal vegan, I went with vegan mayonnaise as well. But serve it with any dipping sauce you like and enjoy! Thank you for stopping by !