I think this blog probably may have the most number of Southeast Asian Inspired dishes than any other genre!! Despite our origin being from Southern India, we seem to have taken really well to the Vegetarian / Vegan Southeast cuisine. It a favorite across all ages and a meal that does excite and entice all palates. So, maybe that’s why I seem to make at least one dish every week.
Sometimes I experiment with new spices and sauces but more often stick to that one formula that works, that makes mealtime easy and satisfying. Upon pondering….which was totally not necessary I think I make Asian inspired meals on the days or nights when I really am running short on time and yet have this mom guilt if I do not feed the family a wholesome meal !! Did I get the whole sentence out in one breath? Oops !
This week I tried the Hoisin Sauce..something I haven’t really used at home until now. The kids loved it…..the flavor of soy sauce combined with some spices was absolutely delicious. The umami too good to resist and plates empty in minutes! Winner winner….Hoisin Dinner. I used a ready to eat, store bought Hoisin sauce, a jar I had picked up while stocking up shelf stable ingredients for emergencies now. It will be a regular in the pantry hereon.
Recipe : Hoisin Tofu Fried Rice
|Prep Time : 15 minutes||Cook time : 20 minutes|
|Spice Level : 🌶🌶||Ease Level : 😃|
|Serves 4 to 6||Entree|
For the Tofu :
- Tofu – Firm – 14 oz – drained and cubed
- Hoisin Sauce – 1/4 cup or to taste
- Salt to taste
- Ginger grated – 1 teaspoon
- Garlic grated – 1 teaspoon
- Black pepper to taste
- Rice flour – 1 tablespoon
- Heat a skillet on medium high. In a small bowl, mix together salt, pepper, ginger garlic and hoisin sauce.
- in another bowl, add the tofu, some salt to taste and the rice flour. Coat the cubes well.
- Once the oil heats up, add these tofu cubes to the skillet and let them brown on one side, takes about 2 to 3 minutes. then flip them one by one and brown the other side as well.
- Once it is crisp enough for you, add the hoisin mixture and coat them well. It is a thick enough sauce and quotes really well.
- Set aside.
For the Rice :
- Cooked Brown rice – 3 cups or use white rice/ noodles
- Mixed chopped veggies – 2 cups – celery, carrots, peppers, onions, green beans, scallions, etc.
- Soy sauce – 1 tablespoon
- Tomato ketchup – 1 tablespoon
- Brown sugar – 1 teaspoon
- Rice wine vinegar – 1/2 teaspoon
- Ginger Garlic paste – 1 teaspoon each
- Chinese Five Spice powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Salt to taste
- White sesame seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Red Chili Flakes – 1/2 teaspoon
- Heat a skillet / wok on medium high heat (if confident in high heat cooking, then that would be ideal)
- Add the oil, next the sesame seeds and the chili flakes, once toasted, add the chopped onions and the whites of the scallions.
- Add a pinch of salt and let them sweat, cook until translucent.
- Next add the chopped veggies.
- Add the sugar and rice wine vinegar and saute for about 3 minutes. The veggies should not be over cooked. It tastes best when there is a bite left to them.
- Next add the soy sauce, ketchup and the five spice powder. Saute for a minute.
- Add the cooked brown rice and give it a good mix, making sure we do not much the rice too much.
- Check for seasoning and adjust to your taste.
- Remove from heat and transfer to a serveware.
- Garnish with the Hoisin Tofu and the greens of the scallion and enjoy it warm…hot if you can’t wait !!
This is a very easy and basic recipe, make it your own and enjoy !! Thank you for stopping by.