A quick, simple and flavorful fried rice recipe
When the refrigerator is almost empty, when grocery shopping is calling, but you want to push it back by just another day because what used to be fun is now not so fun, my go to menu for a meal is a fried rice or pulao or biryani or tahiri. Collect all the remaining veggies, chop them up, toss them with a few pantry staples and mix it in with any rice, now that is the epitome of quick, easy and delicious !
This fried rice is exactly that. A few green beans, a couple of carrots, a few stalks of celery, half a green bell pepper and a handful of broccoli that I found on the bottom of my veggie tray, in our refrigerator, some pantry staples and that was lunch ! A good lunch, an easy lunch and most of all we loved it.
Recipe : Five Spice Fried Rice
|Prep Time : 15 minutes|
Soak Rice in hot water : 15 minutes
|Cook time : 15 minutes |
Rice cook time : 5 minutes
|Spice Level : 🌶🌶||Ease Level : 😃|
|Serves – 4 to 6||Entree / Rice|
The ingredient list looks long, but do not get intimidated by it, these are usually pantry staples that last for a few weeks. They can be used in varied recipes and come in real handy.
- Brown Jasmine Rice : 1 1/4 cup
- Finely chopped veggies about 2.5 cups – carrots, green beans, celery , bell pepper, broccoli florets, etc.,.
- Shallots – 1 – finely chopped
- Ginger Paste – 1 teaspoon
- Garlic paste – 1 teaspoon
- White sesame seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Red chili flakes – 1/2 teaspoon or to taste
- Rice Wine Vinegar – 1 teaspoon ( use any white vinegar or apple cider if you have )
- Coconut Aminos – 1 tablespoon (use Tamari or Soy Sauce instead)
- Chinese Five Spice powder – 1 tablespoon or to taste
- Salt to taste
- Freshly cracked black pepper – to taste
- Oil as needed
- Roasted peanuts for garnish – optional
- Organic Cane Sugar – 1 teaspoon – optional
For the Protein :
- Sprouted extra firm tofu – 1 block – 16 oz drained and cut into cubes
- corn starch – 1 tablespoon
- salt to taste
- crushed black pepper to taste
- Oil to fry shallow fry – 2 tablespoon
How to :
- To cook the brown jasmine rice : wash and soak the brown rice in 1 and 3/4 cups of hot water for 10 minutes. I used the Instant Pot (electric pressure cooker) ans used an inner pot to cook the rice. One can cook it directly in the Inner pot of the IP as well. Once the rice soaks for 10 minutes, add 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon oil, mix well and pressure cook it for 5 minutes on High. Once the timer is done, wait for a minute and slowly and carefully release the pressure. Fluff it up with a fork gently and set aside.
- While the rice is cooking in the IP, in a bowl add the cubed tofu, cornstarch, salt and pepper, toss well to quote them in the mixture.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a wok, add the tofu and shallow fry until all the sides turn slightly crisp and light brown. Takes about 5 minutes in total. Remove from the wok and set aside.
- Heat up the same wok, add some more oil, around a tablespoon, once oil is hot add the sesame seeds, chili flakes and the shallots. Add 1/4 teaspoon salt and let saute for a minute until onions begin to turn translucent.
- Now add the ginger and garlic paste, saute for 30 seconds.
- Next add the chopped peppers and celery, saute on medium high heat for a minute.
- Next add the chopped carrots and green beans, thye rice wine vinegar and let cook for 2 minutes. Make sure to not overcook the veggies. The addition of the rice vinegar helps retain the color of the veggies.
- Now add the coconut aminos, the five spice powder
- Next add the cooked brown jasmine rice, check for salt and stir gently to mix it all together well.
- Add some fresh ground black pepper and the cane sugar if using. Mix well and remove to a serving bowl.
- Fold in the fried tofu with the rice or serve on the side.
- Make it with any variety of rice you like
- Use other forms of chilis like sriracha, sambal oelek or Schezwan sauce and make it as mild or as spicy as you like.
- Use any veggies you have on hand like carrots, green beans, cabbage, zucchini ,baby corn, cauliflower, scallions or even use frozen veggies (do not thaw them) and make this fried rice using white or brown rice, short or long grain rice, maybe even. millets or quinoa if you like and use protein in any form, example paneer, tofu, sprouts, eggs, etc.,.
Another highly customizable recipe, so make it your own and enjoy it like we did. Thank you for stopping by !