Cooked Rice tossed in grated coconut and spices
A very easy and simple recipe that is popular in all the Southern Indian cuisines, especially where coconut grows in plenty ! Use cooked white rice, brown rice, quinoa, broken wheat, millets, etc…any grain of your choice in this recipe. The taste is heavenly even if the recipe is absolutely simple ! Highly recommend this one if your diet can handle coconut.
This recipe is one of our favorites. I use the frozen shredded coconut that one get at an Indian grocery store for this recipe. Those are imported from India, particularly from the states that grow coconuts. I find these to be more tender and softer than the coconuts we get locally. My cousin makes them desiccated coconut as well and it is just as delish. Check Notes on how to toast those, since they turn brown faster than fresh ones.
Recipe : Coconut Rice
|Prep Time : 10 minutes||Cook time : 5 minutes|
|Spice level : 🌶🌶||Ease Level : 😃|
|Serves : 4 to 6||Entree / Rice|
- Cooked short grain white rice – 3 cups
- Salt to taste
For Tempering :
- Coconut oil as needed
- Shredded coconut – 3/4 cup or to taste
- Black Mustard seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Split white urad dal – 1 teaspoon
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
- Whole cashews – 1/4 cup (optional)
- Curry leaves – 5 to 7 (optional)
- Green chilis – 2 sliced thin or chopped small
- Hing – 1/8 teaspoon
- Cilantro for garnish optional
How To :
- Heat a heavy bottom skillet on medium high heat.
- Once it is hot, add 2 tablespoons of coconut oil, then add the black mustard seeds, let them crackle.
- Next add the split urad dal, keep stirring so that they turn brown uniformly.
- Now add the cumin seeds, sliced chilis, curry leaves, hing, let them saute for 30 seconds.
- Next add the cashews and toss them around so they turn a uniform light brown in color.
- Then add the Hing, and the grated coconut. Toss them around for about a minute or 2 maximum, until the nice aroma of coconut hits you. Make sure you do not let them get brown, they should be toasted but still look white.
- Remove to a large mixing bowl and add the cooked rice and enough salt. Mix thoroughly but gently and it is ready !! Enjoy ! Look for a pic below on how I served it.
- I say 10 minutes Prep Time to include the time it takes to cook rice in an Instant Pot. Times may vary based on how you cook the rice or the grain you are using, please do consider that while making this. The rice grains must stay separate, as in do not cook it to a mush.
- If using desiccated coconut, add the coconut after you turn off the stove, making sure they toast just right in the residual heat. Since they are already dry, they will toast very quickly.
- Use any nut of choice instead of cashew nuts.
- Add some grated carrots, cabbage or even finely chopped onions to amp up flavor and make it more wholesome.
- Add grated ginger if you like that taste when combined with coconut, it will make a great addition!
I hope you try this and enjoy it as much as we do !! I will upload the chayote squash curry recipe asap, the one in the picture above. Thank you for stopping by !