An eggless whole wheat blueberry orange muffin recipe
Muffins are a great snack or breakfast and there are so many varieties that one can experiment with, it is probably my most favorite thing to bake, especially for my kiddos! I can satisfy their sweet craving and my need to feed them healthy snacks, all in one go ! They are easy to make and are very customizable. This recipe is a yummy balance of the blueberries and orange zest, a snack that appeases one and all.
Sometimes I swap out the all purpose flour for wheat flour, other times I use coconut sugar instead of cane sugar and more often use at least one fruit to add flavor and to make it more wholesome. Fruits add the necessary moisture as well if I decide to omit the eggs. Sometimes I use coconut oil instead of butter or canola oil/ sunflower oil. I do not try to be very concerned about how healthy each ingredient is, I just aim for a general balance in my children’s diet…so these muffins can be pure indulgence once in a while !!
This particular recipe is a melange of all the eggless muffin recipes I have tried. I wanted something that would be soft, fluffy and almost cake like without it tasting like a cake and I not feeling like I am giving my kids cake for a mid morning snack !!
Scroll down for tips and notes.
Recipe : Blueberry Orange Muffin
Ingredients : Makes 12 muffins
- White Whole Wheat Flour – 200 grams
- Corn Flour – 1.5 tablespoon
- Baking powder – 2 teaspoon
- Salt – 1/8 teaspoon
- Organic cane sugar – 3/4 cup
- Milk – 1/2 cup
- Yogurt – 1/2 cup
- Oil – 1/2 cup
- Vinegar – 1 teaspoon
- Orange zest – 1 tablespoon
- Blueberries – as needed – I used 1 cup of frozen wild blueberries
How to :
Mix the dry ingredients together :
In a large bowl, add the wheat flour, corn flour, salt, baking powder and the cane sugar. Whisk until they combine very well together. Whisk them well for about 30 seconds to aerate the flour mixture well.
Mix the wet ingredients together:
In a medium sized bowl, mix together the milk, yogurt, oil and the vinegar. Whisk well until well combined.
Add the mix ins and make the final batter :
Preheat the oven to 350 degree Fahrenheit and prep a 12 cup muffin pan.
Add the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and slowly incorporate it into the dry ingredients. Mix using a flat spatula to avoid over mixing. Add the orange zest first and fold it in carefully, See Pic 1, followed by the frozen blueberries. See Pic 2. Once the batter is well combined, pour about a tablespoon and a half in each muffin cup, making sure it is filled 3/4 way up, giving it room to rise.
Bake in an oven preheated to 350 degree Fahrenheit for about 22 to 25 minutes. Keep a close watch from the 20th minute mark, since every oven behaves differently. The muffins should look a nice golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin should come out clean!
Remove from the oven and let cool on the counter for 10 minutes. It tastes amazing, with that distinct scent and flavor of the oranges and the subtle flavor of blueberry with a mild tart and, it is a match made in heaven !
- Use a mix of wheat flour and all purpose flour if you like.
- The yogurt, milk and the oil make for a great moist muffin.
- Do not overmix the batter since gluten will make the muffins dense and tough. Remember to fold in the ingredients in a clockwise direction.
- I highly recommend using frozen blueberries since they do not bleed into the batter. Do not thaw them, mix them in frozen. They will thaw as they bake without turning the whole batter purple.
- You could try making it vegan by adding your favorite plant based milk and yogurt. I have not tried it yet.
- Use lemon zest instead of orange if you like that combination.
- Skip the berry and add dark chocolate chips for a chocolate orange muffin or maybe dried cranberries as well. This combo is also our favorite!
- Use 2 bowl, one for dry ingredients and one for wet ingredients or mix them all gently/carefully in one bowl, it will work either way.
This is one of the best muffins recipes I have in my collection and one of the easiest ! Add mix ins of your choice and enjoy. Thank you for stopping by!