This particular soup is something I used to order every time we went to our favorite restaurant that served the famous Indo Chinese food! It is one of the most simplest soup recipe ever but packs a ton of flavor. Quick and easy to make, it is a crowd pleaser…especially the children ! The addition of vegetable broth definitely elevates the taste but it is optional. Since we add vegetables typically used to make a vegetable broth, one can just use water. A slurry made of corn starch helps thicken this soup just a tad, without making it too gooey.
This is just a basic template, like I always say, make it your own. Add cubed, fried tofu or any beans of choice or drop an egg or even add noodles to make it more wholesome. I serve this on most days over cooked noodles or a nice grilled cheese sandwich on the side. Sometimes we have it for dinner on a day when lunch was heavy and calorie packed. I have used only light olive oil to saute the veggies and aromatics, thusly making it a vegan soup. Feel free to use any fat of choice.
Recipe : Vegetable Clear Soup
|Prep Time : 15 minutes||Cook time : 15 minutes|
|Ease Level : 😃||Spice Level : 🌶🌶|
|Makes about 3 quarts of soup|
- Mixed Vegetables – carrot, green beans, celery, scallions, potato, sweet corn – 4 cups total
- Ginger paste – 1 teaspoon
- Garlic paste – 1/2 teaspoon
- Red chili flakes – 1/2 teaspoon or to taste
- Vegetable broth – 1 quart
- Water – 1.5 quarts + 2 tablespoons
- Salt to taste
- Fresh ground black pepper – to taste
- Salt to taste
- Corn starch – 1 tablespoon
- Light olive oil – 2 teaspoon
How to :
- Use a good sized saucepan, say at least 4 quarts big. Heat the pan on medium high heat.
- Once hot, add the oil, once oil is hot add the red chili flakes, ginger and garlic. Let saute for 30 seconds.
- Next add the finely chopped scallions, (reserve the greens of the scallions for garnish) and celery and saute for a minute.
- Next add the finely chopped carrots, potatoes and green beans, a teaspoon of salt and saute for a minutes, let it cook for another minute.
- Now add in the sweet corn and the broth. Let it simmer for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the 1.5 quarts of water and check for salt level.
- Make a slurry of the corn starch and the 2 tablespoon water. Add this to the simmering soup, let it cook for about 2 to 3 minutes, until it starts to froth up.
- Turn off heat, add black pepper to taste and serve hot. Make sure the veggies are not over cooked, they taste best when cooked just right !
- You can also serve it over some cooked noodles or rice or as is. For a simple recipe this tastes pretty yummy !
As always, make it your own and enjoy !! Thank you for stopping by !