A very light corn chowder recipe
Corn chowder is a was inspired by the one we get at Panera Bread but much lighter in calories. This pandemic coupled with cold, crisp evenings call for soup dinners more often and we love soups! It is an added bonus that an extensive Google search and research, led me to some amazing vegan chowder ideas! I loved the idea of a low calorie chowder and was uber happy when it became an instant hit with the family.
One thing i have started doing during this bizarre year is buy frozen fruits and vegetables. I still can’t get myself to eat all of them, but frozen peas, corn, cauliflower, pearl onions, okra, etc are some that have come in very very handy during this time when grocery shopping is no longer a weekly but a fortnightly affair ! We have had so much smoothie over the summer like never before, all thanks to the mega bags of berries, mango, peach, dragon fruit etc we kept buying.
I found a nice big bag of sweet corn in the freezer section last week and that’s what kindled the idea for a corn chowder. I love the one we get at Panera but it is a bit heavy for a winter evening. After looking up many many chowder recipes, I put together this one and it was an instant hit with the family. So it had to be chronicled !
This is not your classic chowder, this is my interpretation of the classic that packs a punch without the calories !
Recipe : Vegan Corn chowder
|Prep Time : 15 minutes||Cook time : 20 minutes|
|Ease Level : 😃||Spice Level : 🌶🌶|
|Makes about 4 quarts of soup||Soups & Stews|
- Frozen / fresh corn kernels – 2 cups
- Finely chopped carrot, celery, onion, green bell pepper, potato – 1/4 to 1/2 cup each – this is customizable – See pic 1
- Green onions chopped – 4
- Garlic paste – 1/2 teaspoon
- Ginger paste – 1 teaspoon
- Red chili flakes – 1/2 teaspoon or to taste
- Bay leaves – 2
- Water – 4 cups
- Almond Milk – unsweetened – plain 2 cups
- Taco Seasoning – 1 tablespoon
- Salt to taste
- Corn starch – 1 teaspoon dissolved in 2 tablespoons of cold almond milk
- Nutritional yeast – 2 tablespoons – optional
- Light olive oil as needed
How to :
- Heat a heavy bottom saucepan that can hold at least 4ish quarts of soup. Add a teaspoon of oil, let it heat up.
- Once oil is hot add the dry red chili flakes, saute for 10 seconds, next add the chopped onions. Let the onions cook for a minute.
- Add the bay leaves, ginger and garlic paste and saute for a minute.
- Next add the whites of the spring onions, the chopped carrot, celery and potato and let cook for 2 minutes, stirring in between.
- Next add the bell pepper and corn, some salt to taste and saute for a minute.
- Next add the taco seasoning and nutritional yeast.
- Mix everything well and add the 4 cups of water.
- Cover and let it simmer for 3 to 4 minutes on medium high heat. The vegetable should not turn mushy, so when the water starts to bubble be ready to add the almond milk.
- Add the almond milk, the cornstarch slurry and let it simmer for another 2 minutes.
- Check for salt and adjust to taste.
- Turn off heat, garnish with the chopped green parts of the spring onions.
- Serve hot with some toast or crackers.
- Use as many varieties of veggies you like, eg zucchini, butternut squash, etc.,.
- Use fresh or frozen corn kernels.
- Taco seasoning is just a suggestion, use any seasoning you like – cumin powder, smoked paprika, coriander powder, dried oregano, etc.,.
- Use water or stock
- Use any plant based milk you are used to.
- Add grated cheddar cheese if you are not making a vegan version.
- Make sure to not overcook the veggies. Since they are chopped fine, they will cook very quickly.
This recipe is also highly customizable, so make it your own and enjoy !! As always , thank you for stopping by and I really hope you like this chowder as much as we did !!