A tad lighter in calorie, one pot soup recipe
They say magic’s in the air when something amazing happens that one cannot really understand how or when one didn’t orchestrate it intentionally, yet the event blows one’s mind away. But this recipe is totally not that…I knew what I was doing and yet the outcome was complete magic !! I couldn’t believe how yummy this was despite controlling every ingredient that went in. It was so so good that it felt like magic…..something I didn’t see had happened. Does that make sense?
I am definitely not overselling this recipe…..it speaks for itself and I really hope you give it a try and then come say…”I agree” ! Simple ingredients most of which are pantry staples and vegetables that are a usual suspect in a good vegetarian soup are used in this recipe. I have used a couple of spices one normally doesn’t use in a broccoli cheese soup, but that was entirely to appease the curry eating palates here at home LOL! If you follow this recipe, as is, I am sure you’d love it as much as we did. But if you are like me, that loves to improvise then use this as your basic template. Either way, it tastes yum…almost magical !
Recipe : Broccoli Cheese Soup
|Prep time : 15 minutes||Cook Time : Under 30 minutes|
|Ease Level : 😃||Spice Level : 🌶|
|Serves 4||Soups & Stews|
- Broccoli florets – 2 cups or as much as you like
- Finely chopped onions – 1/2 cup
- Chopped celery – 1/2 cup
- Chopped carrots – 1/2 cup
- Vegetable stock – 4 cups
- Grated medium cheddar cheese – 1/4 cup
- Grated Colby Jack cheese – 1/4 cup
- All purpose flour – 2 tablespoon
- Heavy cream – 1/4 cup
- Dry red chili flakes – 1 teaspoon or to taste
- Minced garlic – 1 teaspoon or to taste
- Grated ginger – 1/2 teaspoon (optional)
- Butter – 1 tablespoon
- Olive oil – 1 tablespoon
- Salt to taste
- Black pepper crushed to taste
How to :
- Wash and keep ready the broccoli florets.
- Heat a saucepan/dutch oven/ that can hold at least 3 quarts on medium high heat. I used an enamel cast iron saucepan.
- Add the butter and olive oil. Let it heat up.
- Add the red pepper flakes, chopped onions and saute for a few seconds. Sprinkle some salt and let the onions sweat and turn slightly translucent. Takes about 2 minutes.
- Now add the ginger and garlic and mix well. let cook for a minute.
- Next add the chopped celery and carrots and mix well. Cover and let cook for 2 minutes.
- Remove lid and add the 2 tablespoons of all purpose flour and mix well to incorporate the flour into the butter-olive oil fat. Keep tossing this mixture around so that it doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Slowly add in the vegetable stock/broth and whisk it in continuously so that no lumps are formed. Once mixed in well, you’ll be left with a smooth consistency.
- Let this simmer for 3 to 4 minutes until the broth starts thickening up.
- Next add the prepared broccoli florets and mix well.
- Now add the grated cheeses and mix well. Let simmer for a minute.
- Finally add the 1/4 cup of heavy cream and mix well. Let simmer for a minute.
- Remove from heat, serve with some freshly cracked black pepper and some croutons if you feel like it!
- Use roasted broccoli for some extra flavor if you like, add it right before serving.
- Add water if you do not have stock.
- Use sharp cheddar if you like that extra bite. Or any combination of cheddar.
- Add milk instead of cream, will still taste yum!
- Make it more hearty by adding as many veggies as you like, this is a basic template only.
As always, make it your own and enjoy ! I hope you try this and enjoy it as much as we did ! It is one of our favorite soups and IMHO a much better tasting one than the famous food chain’s Broccoli Cheddar Soup 🙂 !! Thank you for stopping by !